Activating the Creative Potential of Youth
There are an estimated 1.1 billion young people ages 15-19 in our world today. That’s one out of every six people on the planet. According to UN reports, this age group is particularly vulnerable to the negative impacts of HIV/AIDS, drugs, poverty, violence, and discrimination. But that is not the whole story.
Youth are a wellspring of intelligence, vitality, and creativity. They are also a largely untapped source of hope and innovation for our communities and our future.
PYE’s mission is to awaken purpose, power, and possibility in young people around the world.
We envision a world where youth are valued and are creatively engaged in responding to the unprecedented challenges that face humanity.
PYE’s Creative Community Model
The Creative Community Model combines the expressive arts, experiential learning, creative facilitation, and intergenerational partnerships to promote:
• Self awareness • Self-esteem • Motivation • Social and emotional literacy • A sense of purpose
• Cross cultural competence • Community involvement • 21st century leadership skills
PYE’s Guiding Principles
- Young people are a vital resource for building a positive, sustainable future
- Youth are far more creative, compassionate and capable than many adults and the mass media believe
- The expressive arts provide potent tools for youth to find their voices and build connections across cultures and generations
- Youth thrive in the company of adults who live passionate, engaged lives
- Adults find renewed optimism and creativity when they participate in learning environments where young people blossom
- Identifying and training social artists is a powerful lever for social change
- Our times require intergenerational and intercultural collaboration and wisdom exchange